Thursday 7 April 2011

Good thing it isn't a doctorate.

I realise this is a place to talk about our “Advanced practice 2” module, but I thought I would take a bit of a break to say… what have we really learnt from the practitioner lecture series?

My entire week has seen little progress because I have been trying to get a silly essay written about why ceramicists are relevant to my practice. (Also because a small fire broke out in my kitchen and the carbon monoxide has made me woozy.)
They are not.

Of course, in the “Critical analysis” I am wondering if it is best to write this, or maybe tip toe around the area to make it look like I’m not just being stubborn.

IF they want our opinions, should I give them it? Or will I get a better grade if I drone on and on about how much I have learnt without knowing it, and how my eyes are now open to the world of ceramics (and making fairy tales out of bean cans.)

While some have been more interesting, and even somewhat relevant (Negative space, interesting.) others have been so head bangingly pointless that I wonder why the university pay them to come talk at us. (Some animator guy – Showed us his animations for an hour while name dropping.)

So, I apologise for this little… bit of honest, but if I can’t whinge in my essay, I sure as hell can in my reflective diary.

And if one more person tries to tell me “We can all learn something from them, it reaches across all areas of design” I will throw something large, heavy and blunt in their general direction.

I want to work on my game, not some pompous “Image heavy critical analysis of blah blah snore…”

Damn you, Academia. Thou are a heartless wench.

2 comments:

  1. I can confirm that you will get a better grade by the droning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its all so very very true

    ReplyDelete