Monday 4 April 2011

Unity - can do awsome things.

Through the semester I have looked a lot at what I have been doing, so I thought it was time to look outside my little armature bubble and see what Unity can really do.
Hopefully, this will fire off some inspiration for next semester! Unity is a powerful engine, and while I am amazed that I have got a working game, I know it has been used to produce some great results.
Here are some I have found!

Max and the Magic Marker.
A fantastic concept, the player uses touch input to draw shapes that become physics objects and solve puzzle.

A simple take on a platformer that ‘Kirby Canvas Curse’ and ‘Yoshi’s Touch`n’Go’ tried in the early days of the DS, but only did to the point that you could draw tracks for the player to move on. This allows you to use it as a shield, a way to catch other objects (Like balloons, and fly) or, as stated, a simple bridge.
Spawning physics object of your own creation. Verdict? A bit beyond my years.

Paper Moon
Perhaps one of the most stylish Unity games, the thing about this great little game is that it could be made so easily. Platforms switching in and out of a 2D plane. Set 2 animation states on an object, set a button to switch between them, and make your world around it!
The style seems to also be very important, with only 2 colours and a paper cut out look, it’s defiantly charming.

Looks like Unity is good for platform games with simple game enhancing mechanics. Changing the environment somehow seems to be key. But just to be different, let’s look at...

Colorbind.
A simple little puzzle game where you drag your finger to create a path of “Paper” and link up coloured dots to different strips of folded paper.

A difficult concept to get my head around, but a very nice little game, especially for iPhone.
A bit slow paced for my taste, but a nice little idea (that I couldn’t hope to do)
I think the key would be to identify a very simple game with limited (Read: Simple) controls, that lots of levels could be made quickly once the mechanics are in place. Produce it for iPhone and get rich... err, I mean... a good grade.

Progress is slow on the game front this week, as I am trying to get my essay done. How do I say “Got bored of listening to ceramicists” in 1500 words without sounding like a jerk?

1 comment:

  1. I would have added a bit of formatting and images, but Blgoger seems to turn my text into a wall of text when I edit it even slightly. Quite unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete