Monday 21 March 2011

Semiotics... or visual cues!

With the current build of my level, I have found the same two pieces of feedback being given to me over and over.

Firstly, it is not clear that the door on the second level is behind the large crate.

Secondly, there is no indication as to which way the boxes get pushed.

Both of these are simply a lack of finish in the level, as I have not yet been able to create a way to lead the player into knowing these things (Without telling them outright.)

But now, the problems have solutions! I first created a sign that has been placed above all level endings. While this is useless on most levels, it means that I now have a way to indicate where a hidden or blocked door is. It is on all levels to maintain visual consistency
.

The crate direction problem is a bit different. I could create lowers bits of floor (Like a delivery network) or perhaps mark the route of the boxes.

Both of these are a little too obvious. So instead, I have opted to indicate that the boxes have been moved in various directions before. How? Skid marks! The ultimate way to show movement in a grubby environment.

Small floor markings will now be put near the crates to show initially what direction it will be moved. It is up to the player to remember beyond this.

With all the invisible walls and semiotics, this level design stuff just gets more complicated!

No comments:

Post a Comment