Wednesday 28 September 2011

The Old (and mostly scrapped) game ideas


Ok, I lied, I can not be bothered to post every day about my games (Also, I missed yesterday) so instead I will sum them all up in one Giga-post before rounding off my first week with an update as to where I am now that I have begun the year.

Runny game

Probably the earliest of my ideas – this one came before I had even created the touch screen controls.

The basic idea of this game is that you gain immense speed after a few seconds of moving. As a whole, this works quite well, but in terms of game play, the world would have to be HUGE and incredibly open.

Not only that, it is a basic mechanic, several additional mechanics would need to be added to make even one level. (For example, an objective, an opponent of some sort, types of obstacle)


Floating Game

Originally this concept was more complex – you where a balloon that would inflate and deflate as you hit things, sort of like a primitive ‘life’ system’

Of course, this was not to be, as I do not know how to make a counter work, and I do not know how to have that influence the size/speed of an object.

As it stands, the game is still about not hitting anything, with numerous traps designed to throw you off.

While these are neatly summed up in the documents for submission, they basically consist of things to block your view, things to influence your movement, and boody-traps.

Also, I designed a whole 3 minute level for it!



Skipping Game

Probably my least favourite, this game constitutes two simple things. a constant animation (A rope) and a button to play an animation (Jumping the rope).

This is ridiculously simple - a collision between these two ends the game.

As you can tell from my tone, this isn’t my favourite - but the ability to quickly restart the game, and the addictive nature of continually trying to top yourself might be just what I need for an iPhone game.


The potential to expand this isn’t particularly great - Skipping only has so many variations, really.

In case your wondering where the idea came from? Press button, play a jump animation - simple? Yes. Genius? Who knows.


Stealth game

This idea came to me when I created my second semester game – it is basically a series of moving triggers that the player must avoid while trying to achieve whatever it is the levels aims are.

This game is good, but the controls gave me a few problems (Notably the character walking straight.)

Ideally, I would love to make this a ‘Break out of prison’ game or something similar, but at the same time I don’t want to create anything too dark like I did last semester.

This gives me a lot of scope for level design too, but at the same time the controls and camera would make it feel a LOT like my second semester game.



Flip


A miracle of my Unity ingenuity, this is a game I would be tempted to produce on my own if I do not take it forward.

The idea is simple. A button flips gravity so that you can either walk no the ceiling or the floor.

From the demo I built, I realised the puzzles I concocted where too easy and too linear – but this was designed before I knew the specifics of how the mechanic would work, as I had planned for it not to work as intended. (But then it worked flawlessly, and here I am.)


Torture

More "App" than "Game" - This interactive man will respond to 'touch' – and in doing so, it simlulates the character being hurt.

The very basic version I made has the man simply stood still and playing 4 animations, but in an ideal world he would respond to touches in all sorts of places, and move when he is idle, and even be able to be ‘made’ into a person you know using the iPhone camera.

As I said – this isn’t really a game, and offers nothing in the way of level design. If I where studying realistic animation, I would use this to present my work maybe.


Gingerbread man

Almost identical to the Floating game in every way, except for the fact that you run along the ground and the camera perspective e is different. This game has the player running away from (something) towards the camera and avoiding obstacles as they pop up.

The design of this is somewhat simple, but like floating game, could be adapted to have different obstacles. In terms of levels, it could be quite broad.

The issue I had here was the feeling of speed – the man felt like he was strolling slowly towards the camera instead of fleeing from a fox.

Licensing may also be an issue.



Online versions of the links to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment